Below are some resources that may be helpful as you prepare your RASCAL deliverables. We encourage teams to utilize the NASA research tools when developing their projects, and to pay special attention to the resources on how to give professional and effective presentations prior to the Forum.
Theme 3 Pairing Info
NIA cannot facilitate pairing of teams beyond listing contact information.
|Virginia Tech||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|Arizona State University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Arizona State University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transport||Daniel.B.White@asu.edu|
|North Carolina State University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|University of Alabama||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|University of Colorado, Boulder||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|NASA Langley Fall Intern Group||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|The Pennsylvania State University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colorado School of Mines||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|Penn State University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||Artificial Gravity Reusable Crewed Deep Space Transportemail@example.com|
|Piedmont Virginia Community College||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stage||Rbd2345@email.vccs.edu|
|Arizona State University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Columbia University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Virginia Tech||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|North Carolina State University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colorado School of Mines||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|West Virginia University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|City University of New York||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stage||Jahdon.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|Princeton University||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stagefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Onondaga Community College||Reusable Hybrid Propulsion Stageemail@example.com|
|University of Minnesota Twin Cities||Propellant Resupply Capabilityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|The Pennsylvania State University||Propellant Resupply Capabilityemail@example.com|
|Colorado School of Mines||Propellant Resupply Capabilityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Texas Tech University||Propellant Resupply Capabilityemail@example.com|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Propellant Resupply Capabilityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Purdue University||To Be Determinedemail@example.com|
NEW Recommended Reading for RASC-AL 2018
- Space Launch System (SLS) Mission Planner's Guide
- NASA’s Advanced Exploration Systems Mars Transit Habitat Refinement Point of Departure Design
- Integrated Hybrid campaign description from EMC
- Hybrid End-to-End Piloted Trajectory Details
- SLS Mission Planner’s Guide
- NASA Artificial Gravity Future Plans for ISS
- Chart on the Near Rectilinear Halo Orbit (NRHO) (Theme 4, DSG)
- ***NASA's Voyages Report: Charting the Course for Sustainable Human Space Exploration
- NASA Space Technology Roadmap from the Office of Chief Technologist
- Human Spaceflight: Mission Analysis and Design Handbook (Space Technology Series); Authors: Wiley J. Larson, Linda K. Pranke
- The Lunar Base Handbook: An Introduction to Lunar Base Design, Development, and Operations (Space Technology Series); Author: Peter Eckart
- Archived Presentations from the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts - Fellows Meetings
- Basics of Space Flight - From JPL
- NASA's Lunar Habitat
- Human Spaceflight: Mission Analysis and Design Handbook
- 2008 NASA Cost Estimating Handbook
- Special Note: the following website (http://cost.jsc.nasa.gov), mentioned both in the Cost Estimating Handbook and the March 14, 2013 RASC-AL Costing Webinar, is no longer accessible.
- Cost Estimating Powerpoint - From 2015 RASC-AL Costing Webinar, given by Jordan Klovstad, March 25, 2015
- NASA Project Cost Estimating Capability software (Please find link under "Software")
- Catalog of free software from NASA's Technology Transfer Program
- DS SolidWorks has offered to provide RASC-AL teams with free software (if needed) – SolidWorksSimulation design validation tools. They are offering free SolidWorks with Simulation to each team member for their personal computers. If you are interested in obtaining the free software, please click the link above, then “click here for team sponsorship” and fill out the online form.
- The NASA Project Cost Estimating Capability (PCEC) is an Excel-based software tool with a collection of cost estimating relationships and models to estimate the development and production costs of spaceflight hardware systems. It is available for FREE to all US Citizens by requesting access at: https://www.nasa.gov/offices/ooe/PCEC/#.VbfciuhViko.
For more information or help with using PCEC, please contact the PCEC support desk at MSFC-PCEC@mail.nasa.gov.
- OLTARIS: The main purpose of OLTARIS is to provide researchers with access to a tool set that can be used to assess the effects of space radiation on vehicles, electronics, and humans. You can request access at: https://oltaris.larc.nasa.gov/
Please note that neither NASA nor NIA are endorsing Spaceworks, SolidWorks or NAFCOM products, and each team needs to make independent assessment of these offers and products.
Project Management / Systems Engineering
- Project Planning, Analysis, and Control - ESI Course Material (copyrighted)
- This in-depth course material will be made available to each team's faculty advisor after final selections are made. NASA and NIA recommend that teams thoroughly review this material and incorporate it into their project plans.
- Project Plan Template - NASA APPEL
- NASA's Space Flight Program and Project Management Requirements
- NASA Systems Engineering Handbook - 2007
- Applied Space Systems Engineering - (Space Technology Series); Authors: Wiley Larson, Douglas Kirkpatrick, Jerry Sellers, Lawrence Thomas, Dinesh Verma
- NASA's Human Research Program Integrated Research Plan: Contains important information on health related issues and problems that NASA needs to tackle.
- NASA's Human Research Program: Contains information on health related issues and problems that NASA is currently working towards.
- Human Research Roadmap: This website takes a look at specific gaps that NASA is working on, which should help provide areas to consider relating to health and space travel.
- Curiosity's Radiation Results: Contains information regarding potential radiation levels for humans traveling to Mars and its implications.